Thurlow Nunn ECL Premier Division
Tuesday 15th August 2017


An entertaining game at Catons Lane ended all square as Histon came from behind twice through Tommy Wright and Evan Key to secure a share of the points and maintain their unbeaten start to the season.

Sheldon Weinman made his first Histon start, replacing the injured Lee Smith who was fit enough only for the bench alongside Tahir Ali and the returning Joe Sutton.

The home side started brightly and were ahead with 8 minutes on the clock, Spike Bell’s cross from the right found Oliver Emsden free in the box to head past Ayden Duffy.

Histon had again started slowly but started to find their feet and make an impact on the game. With just over 20 minutes gone the equaliser came. Will Lawton lifted a ball from deep into the box where it wasn’t cleared, the loose ball sitting up nicely for Tommy Wright who sent a thumping volley past Neil O’Sulivan into the corner to level the scores.

Tommy Wright equalises, 1-1.

On the half hour mark a nice move down the left ended with Danny Gould’s low cross being met by James Carman who found the net but the linesman’s flag was up and it was ruled out for offside. The impressive James Crane nearly took full advantage of Histon’s defensive hesitancy soon after but his shot beat the far post whilst Tommy Wright, foraging down the right at pace pulled a low ball back for Evan Key to hit first time but O’Sullivan was equal to it in the Walden goal.

With half time approaching, Crane again came close to restoring the home side’s lead when getting on the end of a Ledwith cross whilst at the other end, O’Sullivan spilled a high ball that George Darling headed goalwards where it was headed clear off the line.

All square at the break.

Walden started the second half brightly and Crane, again causing problems, advanced quickly down the right before sending over an excellent cross that Emsden headed wide. Meanwhile, Danny Gould threatened for Histon, cutting inside a defender before sending a powerful shot just over O’Sullivan’s bar.

Both teams continued to look for every attacking opportunity but it wasn’t until the last ten minutes that a breakthrough was made when Charlie Portway turned sharply in the area and sent a shot past Duffy into the far corner to give the hosts the lead.

Histon weren’t done yet though and went looking for an immediate response and four minutes later had levelled the scores again. Joe Sutton skilfully made himself space in the area before chipping the ball left footed up for Evan Key to head home, the midfielders’s fourth goal in three games.

Evan Key’s late header makes it 2-2.

When the final whistle came the points were rightfully shared and Histon look forward to the visit of Kirkley & Pakefield to The Glassworld on Saturday afternoon.


Histon: Ayden Duffy, Tommy Wright, Will Lawton, Sheldon Weinman (Joe Sutton 62), Max York, Brendan Lees, George Darling (Taher Ali 79), Evan Key, James Carman, Pat Bexfield, Danny Gould.

Histon subs not used: Lee Smith.

Histon yellow cards: None.

Histon goal scorers: Tommy Wight (22), Evan Key (85).


Saffron Walden Town: Neil OSullivan, Spike Bell, Ronnie Ledwith, Jacob Noble, James Ferguson, Ryan Fleming, Julian Simon-Parson (Connor Molly 77), Oliver Emsden, Graeme Turner (Thomas Lakin 70), Charlie Portway, James Crane.

Saffron Walden Town subs not used: Mason Naylor, Ashley Skeggs, Flynn Tarman.

Saffron Walden Town yellow cards: None.

Saffron Walden Town goal scorers: Oliver Emsden (8), Charlie Portway (81).


Attendance: 262