Evo-Stick Southern 1 Central
Saturday 15th October 2016


Manager Lance Key may not have got the result he wanted from this game but he will have been encouraged by a spirited second half performance that could, and possibly should have been enough to earn at least a point.

rm3Key started with new signing Ross Munro (from Mildenhall Town, pictured) in the centre of midfield with Ben Yeomans returning to the side up front but it was the visitors who started well and were 2 up within 20 minutes. With barely ten minutes on the clock we struggled to clear our lines and when the ball was fizzed back across goal Ollie Hogg headed home at the back post to give United the lead. Hogg was the man again ten minutes later to give United a 2 goal lead and things looked bleak for the Histon supporters in the stands. Conroy had to be at his best to keep the score at 2-0 soon after and the crossbar came to our rescue too but the tide started to turn around the half hour mark as we started to get a foothold in the game. Munro went close to halving the lead just before half time when his header came back out off the crossbar but at the break it remained 0-2.

The second half saw a much brighter Histon side right from the kick off and on 49 minutes Ben Yeomans made it 2-1, heading home Jake Chambers-Shaw’s cross from the right. Chambers-Shaw really started to get into the game now creating all sorts of problems for the visiting defenders and almost levelled things up soon after Yeomans had scored. The centre forward flicked a header past the defenders just inside the United half and Chambers-Shaw was away but the keeper was out quickly narrowing the angle to make the save.

Danny Gould came on for Jos Gwynne and within a couple of minutes crossed to Simon Unwin but the midfielders’ first time shot was deflected over. A minute later and Chambers-Shaw again wriggled past his marker and went clear but his square pass for Yeomans sent the striker a fraction too wide and his shot from a tight angle found only the side netting.

United were still looking dangerous up front though and were very close to extending their lead with just under 10 minutes to go. Sonny French surged forward through the middle of midfield before laying the ball off to Josh Baines whose first time effort beat Conroy but came back down and out off the underside of the crossbar.

Still we pushed forward though looking for the equalizer with Chambers-Shaw and Cameron Watson both going close but time ultimately ran out and United held on for all three points.

Histon: Niall Conroy, Pat Bexfield (Chris Hyem 46), Elkanah Sibanda, Simon Unwin (Will Gardner 89), Max York, Cameron Watson, Jos Gwynne (Danny Gould 68), Ross Munro, Ben Yeomans, Jake Chambers-Shaw, Matty Allan.

Histon subs not used: Joe Sutton, Dammy Nickels.

Histon yellow cards: Jake Chambers-Shaw, Cameron Watson, Niall Conroy.

Histon goal scorer: Ben Yeomans (49).

Aylesbury United: Zaki Oualah, Ellis Hercules (Gavin Hinds-Cadette 29), Jake Bewley, Jack Wood, Ryan Kinnane (Vijon Sentain 50), Olly Stanbridge, Sonny French, Greg Williams, Chid Onokwai, Josh Baines, Ollie Hogg.

Aylesbury subs not used: Taylor Collins, Jordan Frederick, Reece Cameron.

Aylesbury United yellow cards: Chid Onokwai, Ollie Hogg, Sonny French, Vijon Sentain.

Aylesbury United goal scorers: Ollie Hogg (10, 19).

Attendance: 158.