About Histon FC

Histon Football Club has its First Team playing in the third tier of non-league football, the Southern League Premier division. The Football Club is about more than just the First Team, we also run a Scholarship Programme (with plans for a girl’s Scholarship for 2017-18), an Academy for Under 6’s to Under 16’s and a Ladies team.

The History of Histon Football Club

The club was formed in 1904 as Histon Institute FC and played for many years in the Cambridgeshire Football League. John Chivers, the chairman of the major employer in Histon & Impington, the jam company Chivers, helped to found the Histon Institute in 1903 from where the football club has its origins. The company donated a field then covered in roses for the club to play on, which is commemorated in the rose on Histon’s crest.

In 1960 the club (which by now had dropped the “Institute” from their name) joined the Delphian League but just three years later this league disbanded and Histon, along with most of the other member clubs, joined the Athenian League. In 1966 they switched to the Eastern Counties League where they were to play for nearly twenty-five years. When the ECL adopted a two-division format in 1988, Histon were placed in the Premier Division. In the 1989/90 season Histon won the Jewson League Cup but lost players Lance Key and Shaun Sowden to Sheffield Wednesday and Giuliano Maiorana to Manchester United.

In 1993 a new club committee was formed. The club was relegated to Division One in 1995 but were promoted back up two years later. During this time manager Graham Daniels departed for Cambridge City and this meant the arrival of Simon Allen and he guided the first team back to the Premier Division. The 1997/98 season saw Neil Kennedy establish a club record by scoring 46 senior goals in the season, winning the golden boot for the League, and Histon finished 3rd. The club also won the Fair Play award for the third season running. In the same season Sean Audley also established a club record by scoring the most goals recorded to date in one season. He scored a record 79 goals in the reserve side and by doing so he earned himself the golden boot for the League’s top scorer. The following season produced another manager in Trevor Collins who took over the role and took the team to 4th in the league. In the 1999/2000 season they won the Premier Division title under the management of another manager, former Cambridge United player Steve Fallon, and were promoted to the Southern Football League. The title was won on the last day of the season with a 2-1 defeat of Gorleston.

The start of the 21st century was slow and in the first three seasons Histon managed 4th spot twice and a disappointing 10th, which momentarily halted the rise they had experienced with Steve Fallon. The 2003/04 season saw us finish 2nd in the Southern League’s Eastern Division to claim promotion to the Premier Division. The following year Histon took on League Two side Shrewsbury Town in the FA Cup 1st Round Proper, setting up a 2nd Round tie at home to Yeovil Town with a 2-0 victory. They lost to Yeovil in the 2nd Round but it did not affect their league performances as they clinched the Southern League Premier Division title on the last day of the season and with it promotion to Conference South, the highest level at which the club had ever played.

In their first season at this level Histon finished in 5th place, enough to secure a place in the play-offs for promotion to the Conference National. They won their first game away at Farnborough Town 3-0, but lost 2-0 in the play-off final at Broadhall Way against St. Albans City. In the FA Cup they reached the second round proper after beating Hednesford Town in the first round. The team managed a draw away at Nuneaton Borough but were defeated in the replay at Bridge Road 2-1 and would have played Premier League club Middlesbrough if they had won. The second round replay saw 3,077 people at Bridge Road, the highest attendance of the whole season. The season was also notable for a 5-0 win against local rivals Cambridge United in the FA Trophy.

On 14 April 2007 the Stutes beat Welling United 1-0 at Bridge Road to secure promotion to the Conference National for the first time in their history, Adrian Cambridge scoring the winner in the 89th minute. Two days previously, officials from the Conference had passed Bridge Road as fit for Conference football, paving the way for promotion (the club’s fourth in 7 years) to the highest point in the football league pyramid reached in the club’s history. In the same season striker Neil Kennedy got his 300th goal for the club with a hat-trick against Havant & Waterlooville.

In Histon’s first season in the Conference National the Stutes played their first televised game, Setanta broadcasting their 1-0 home win against Oxford United. Later in the season the club broke their record home attendance when a crowd of 3,721 saw Histon beat local rivals Cambridge United 1-0 on 1 January 2008. Histon finished the season in 7th, two places and 9 points away from the play-offs and bade farewell to the club’s record goalscorer, Neil Kennedy. He played his last competitive game against Forest Green Rovers on the last day of the season in a substitute appearance.

Histon’s second season of Conference football started well and the Stutes were top of the division during November. They finished third that season, qualifying for the play-offs, where they were defeated 2-1 on aggregate by Torquay United in the semi-final. In the FA Cup Histon reached the third round for the first time after beating Football League opposition in Swindon Town 1-0 at home in the First Round, and Leeds United 1-0 at home in the Second Round, the first time Leeds had lost to a non-league side. They lost 2-1 to Swansea City at home in the third round.

In November 2009 Gareth Baldwin ended his 17-year tenure as chairman of the club when he was replaced by Tony Roach, citing “ill-health and stress” as the reason he was standing down. In January 2010 Steve Fallon was sacked as Histon manager and replaced by Alan Lewer who left the club at the end of that season. John Beck’s brief stint as Manager ended after two months and he was replaced by former Millwall Captain David Livermore. During that season the club were fined £5,000 and docked 5 league points after pleading guilty to “submitting misleading financial information”, finishing the season bottom of the league and relegated to the Conference North for 2011-12. Histon finished their first Conference North season in 16th place and manager Livermore left the club at the end of that season, returning to Millwall as a Coach. Dennis Greene took over but left the Club in December 2012 following a poor start to the season, to be replaced by former Reserve Team Manager and Histon player Nacer Relizani who was assisted by the Club’s Youth Team Coach Brian Page. The duo led the team to Conference North safety on the last day of the season before Relizani stepped down and Page took over the top job.

2013-14 started brightly with the team in the top half of the table until September but ultimately a very young Stutes side couldn?t maintain Conference football and relegation to the Southern League followed.

The first season back in the Southern League Premier Division ended with a comfortable 18th place finish, securing Step 3 football for another season. Under Page’s management the club focuses on youth development and has established a clear pathway from Academy through Scholarship and into the First Team for our young players, building a growing reputation for finding and developing young players good enough to move up into the professional game.