Thurlow Nunn ECL Premier Division
Tuesday 8th August 2017


Histon got their first three points of the season in an entertaining game at The Glassworld Stadium on Tuesday evening with Lee Smith’s 73rd minute strike securing the victory.

The game started brightly enough but it wasn’t until the 17th minute that things really got going. Danny Gould advanced down the left hand side, twisting the defenders around before delivering a low ball across the 6 yard box that was eventually cleared off the line before rebounding around and away for a goal kick. Bouyed by this near miss Histon were pushing forward and three minutes later won a corner on the left. Smith swung the ball over to the back post were Evan Key rose highest to head powerfully into the top of net to put Histon ahead.

Histon were enjoying a good spell going forward but the visitors looked dangerous when they got forward too and Ashley Walters should have done better with a header 10 yards out that went harmlessly over the bar.

On 28 minutes Ely were level. A loose ball in midfield was quickly seized upon and Sam Reed was played through, the striker finishing well when one on one against Ayden Duffy in the Histon goal.

Both sides were looking to attack and it was Histon who made the next breakthrough. Harry Reynolds miscued a clearance which Joe Sutton took control of just inside the Ely half. The young midfielder advanced 20 yards before sliding a perfectly weighted pass into the path of Ed Rolph who side footed first time past Reynolds to restore the home side’s lead (below).


Undeterred, the visitors levelled things up again five minutes later. This time a long throw into the area wasn’t cleared before being smashed back goalwards from the edge of the area. Reed was in the right place at the right time again to divert the ball up and into the roof of the net from close range to make it 2-2.

Just before the break Reynolds was forced into a good save when George Darling’s well struck drive from 20 yards was heading goalwards before Reynolds saved well at full stretch low to his left to send the sides into the break level at 2-2.

The second half was a little calmer in terms of goalmouth action although both sides were looking to play and attack. Rolph had the chance to test Reynolds with a free kick from just outside the box but the strikers’ effort was comfortably saved but other than that neither side were creating the sort of chances they had in the first half.

Until, the 73rd minute that is when Tommy Wright burst forward at pace down the right hand side, outpacing the defenders before sending over a low ball that found it’s way to the oncoming Smith who lashed it home off the underside of the bar to put Histon ahead for the third time on the night (below).


Ely went looking for yet another equaliser but couldn’t find a way to really open up the home defence and it looked as though Histon would see the game out. After a few stoppages for injuries everyone knew there would be a few minutes of added time to come and in the 6th minute of that added time it really should have been 3-3. City threw everything into one last push forward and the ball finally found it’s way to Walters all on his own at the far post 6 yards out with the goal at his mercy. The City midfielder snatched at his chance however and sliced the ball wide to leave the Histon lead intact and soon after the whistle blew.

Lance will be happy with the three points of course and pleased to see the side scoring goals but will no doubt want a tighter defensive display when we visit Ipswich Wanderers on Saturday in our next league outing.


Histon: Ayden Duffy, Tommy Wright, Will Lawton, Lee Smith (Sheldon Weinman 78), Max York, Evan Key, George Darling (James Carman 89), Joe Sutton (Brendan lees 58), Ed Rolph, Pat Bexfield, Danny Gould.

Histon subs not used: Owen Peck, Olly Habergham.

Histon goal scorers: Evan Key (20), Ed Rolph (35), Lee Smith (73).

Histon yellow cards: Pat Bexfield, Tommy Wright.


Ely City: Harry Reynolds, Daniel Jeffrey, Jamie Alsop (Craig Neal (71), Liam Griffin (Luke Mansfield 76), Tom William, Ollie Brookes, Josh Sewell, Ashley Walter, Sam Reed, Alex Theobald, Tom Thurborn (Nick Heap 65).

Ely City subs not used: Paul Summerskill, Ben Mayhew.

Ely City goal scorers: Sam Reed (28, 39).

Ely City yellow card: Jamie Alsop.


Attendance: 140.