Evo-Stick Southern 1 Central
Saturday 25th March 2017


A game that promised much after an eventful opening 10 minutes fizzled out into a draw that the visitors will be happy enough with but for Lance Key’s team wins are the order of the day and this game was an opportunity missed to close the gap.

Evan Key returned to the starting line up with Lewis Clayton dropping to the bench in Key’s only change to the team that had been so impressive in victory the previous week at Marlow.

The visitors started brightly with the breeze at their backs and were on the front foot from the off. Within a couple of minutes Histon defenders were throwing themselves in the way to block goalbound efforts from inside our area and with just 5 minutes on the clock The Moles were ahead when Jordan Jenkins rose highest to direct a header into the top corner from a corner from the right.

An early setback then in a vital game but home fears were dispelled almost immediately. Jake Chambers-Shaw delivered a low corner towards to the near post where the visiting defender missed it causing general confusion behind him in the 6 yard area. Lee Smith stabbed the ball towards goal but defenders on the line were in the way, however as the ball ricocheted around it rebounded off a defender and over the line and we were level at 1-1.

Soon after and Davis Haule forced Ayden Duffy into tipping over his fierce snap shot whilst Max York’s long throw into the box caused plenty of confusion for the defenders and Moles’ keeper james Weatherill diverted the ball into the side netting.

A more than lively opening 10 minutes promised much entertainment for the crowd but the game failed to reach those heights again as both sides struggled to make much impression in attack although Danny Gould somehow managed to hook away Ty Deacon’s shot midway through the half with Duffy beaten.

The second half saw little in terms of goalmouth action. Aston Goss tried his luck with a free kick from a dangerous central position but his effort was comfortably saved by Duffy and it wasn’t until the last few minutes that Histon came close to grabbing a vital winner. Simon Unwin angled in a free kick that was met by Max York with a powerful header and James Weatherill tipped acrobatically over the bar to keep the scores level.

A point is a point and worth having of course but Key will see this as an opportunity missed no doubt. Next weekend we travel to Ashford Town and with only 5 games left and 8 points between us and safety it goes without saying that three points are essential now.


Histon: Ayden Duffy, Danny Gould (James Carman 86), Cameron Watson, Evan Key, Max York, Lee Smith (Lewis Clayton 23), Matty Allan, Simon Unwin, Tommy Wright, Jake Chambers-Shaw (Jabari Hylton 65), Elkanah Sibanda.

Histon subs not used: Marcus Hall, Joe Carden.

Histon yellow cards: Evan Key, Lewis Clayton, Jabari Hylton.

Histon goal scorer: OG (7).


Aylesbury: James Weatherill, Joe Fitzgerald, Aston Goss, Alex O’Brien, Jordan Jenkins, Charlie Hawtin, Josh Bamford (Glenn Yala 56), Davis Haule, Brian Haule, Ty Deacon, Harry Scott (Ashley Jenkins 78).

Aylesbury subs not used: Ruddock Yala, Leon Opok, Malik Smith.

Aylesbury yellow cards: Ty Deacon, Glenn Yala.

Aylesbury goal scorer: Jordan Jenkins (5).


Attendance: 203.