Histon 4 AFC Dunstable 1
Peter Peters U15 Trophy
Tuesday 17th October 2017
@ The Glassworld Stadium

Written by Robbie Robjant, Histon under 15 Captain.

Playing under a floodlit pitch at the fortress for the first time this season, Histon faced AFC Dunstable in the first round of the midweek cup. Hopes were high for the home team after back to back wins against Biggleswade in the league and League Cup.

The match started at a fast tempo with Histon being put under lots of pressure by the away side. Jason Davey began to play some inch-perfect passes through the channels while Cameron Wolstencroft grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck by winning his personal battles and being very direct when driving forward with the ball. Dunstable looked very dangerous out wide and began to get some delightful crosses across the six-yard box but their striker wasn’t on the same wavelength as his teammates. Histon withstood the threat posed by the away side and took the lead through Will Brurning who cut in from the right-hand side before sliding the ball home to open the scoring. This gave Histon much more confidence to get higher up the pitch and apply more pressure on the ball when they were out of possession, and the dominance in midfield continued to grow between Jason Davey and Cameron Wolstencroft as they worked tirelessly to win the ball back so they could get their team on the front foot. Moments before half time a penalty was awarded to Histon after Will Brurning got on the end of a long ball from Robbie Robjant and was brought down by the out-coming goalkeeper who was given a yellow card for his challenge. Will Brurning took charge of matters but squandered the opportunity to double Histon’s lead after his shot was comfortably saved by the keeper in the middle of the goal.

HT: Histon 1-0 AFC Dunstable.

There was an exciting start to the second half when Histon doubled their lead early on after a deflected shot off Will Brurning made its way to the bottom left hand corner beating the wrong-footed keeper. Dunstable hit back very quickly with a ball over the top fell to the captain who managed to get a shot away past Matty Wells and into the bottom corner. The away sides deficit had been halved which helped them grow in confidence and create more chances. They had the ball in the back of the net, but luckily for Histon, it was ruled out for offside. Jack Butler and Robbie Robjant kept the opposing striker on a short lead while the two full backs; Jerome Menon and Aiden Haslop limited the supply from wide positions. Later, Histon re-gained their two-goal cushion when Tom Wraight lobbed the flailing keeper with his cross-shot which nestled into the back of the net to make the score 3-1. Dunstable almost made another fantastic reaction to conceding when they got in behind the defence but their effort was smothered by the calm and confident Matty Wells in goal. Will Brurning had a great chance to get his hat-trick when he was in a one-on-one situation with the goalkeeper who lunged into the challenge bringing the striker down just outside the penalty area. After what felt like an age, the referee finally decided to show the keeper a second yellow card. Oliver Ward was stupidly rewarded a yellow card by the referee after showing good sportsmanship and telling the goalkeeper he’d played well and was unlucky to be shown a red card. The resulting free kick was struck with conviction by Cameron Wolstencroft which forced a fantastic save out of the replacement goalkeeper whose hands were left stinging from the monstrous shot. Dunstable continued to battle on but Histon’s quality in the final third proved to be the difference when Oliver Ward secured the win by cutting in from the left-hand side before drilling the ball into the bottom left-hand corner.

FT: Histon 4-1 AFC Dunstable.