Histon Ladies 3 Leigh Ramblers Ladies 2

SSE Women’s FA Cup Second Qualifying Round
Sunday 23rd September 2018

Histon’s reward is a journey to National League side Nettleham for the Third Round Qualifying of this competition, a level first half making way to two early goals for the hosts before a late second goal for Leigh set up a tense finish.

The home side got their shots in early, Ali Wright firing wide with just 11 seconds gone and was shortly followed by Katie Webb bringing a good save out of away goalkeeper Emily Mackler on 6 minutes and Georgia Day having a 20 yard effort stopped by Mackler a minute later.

With 18 minutes gone it was Leigh that found themselves ahead, a corner on the right by Rebecca Dalgarno not being cleared by the home defence and Kate Newton swept the ball home from close range to put her side in front.

Tessa Shaw headed Sophie Lanham’s deep free kick wide of the far left post with 32 minutes gone as Histon looked for an equaliser, which came three minutes later, Wright cutting the ball back from the bye line to the left of goal and Katie Seagrave was there at close range to apply a side foot finish to take the ball over the goal line and open her account for the season.

The score was 1-1 at the break but Histon started the second half almost as strongly as the first, Webb bringing a strong one handed save within a minute of the restart and, in the 47th minute, the home side were in front themselves, Wright seeing Mackler off her line and found the net from the left corner of the area despite Mackler getting a hand to the ball.

Nine minutes later the score was 3-1 to the hosts, Webb getting on the score sheet after a backpass by Dalgarno wasn’t fully controlled by Mackler and Webb seized the opportunity to take the ball off her, force her way to the side of her and then calmly turn before side footing the ball into the empty net.

A great save firm Mackler denied Wright another goal on 61 minutes, the chances drying up as Histon lifted their foot off the gas as Leigh seemed to run out of gas themselves.

The away side, however, found new impetus and, on 84 minutes, were just a goal behind again, a high cross from the right by Newton crawling into the bottom left corner of the net after causing confusion near the goal line.

Hearts were in mouths for the home side with two late corners that saw all 22 bodies in the box well into added time, one four minutes after the ninety were up ending with Mackler heading over and, after a scramble in the six yard box, the ball was eventually cleared from a second corner two minutes later.

Sixty seconds later, with seven added minutes played, the final whistle went and Histon’s passage was secured.

Lineup available here.