Histon Ladies 4 Wisbech Town Ladies 2

Cambs FA Women’s Invitation Cup 1st Round
Sunday 4th February 2018


Histon progressed to the next round of the county cup, Wisbech taking the lead and pegging Histon back before two goals in the final 30 minutes gave the hosts the win.

The away side looked hungrier and more composed in the early stages and led after 18 minutes when a ball around the corner was slipped between the onrushing Brie Baker and Keeley Robinson as they converged and into the net from near the edge of the area.

Histon reacted and had a great chance to draw level with 34 minutes gone after Katie Webb was pulled down ten yards from goal and a spot kick was awarded, Ali Wright unfortunately putting her kick at the goalkeeper and the ball was eventually cleared.

Three minutes before the break the game was level, Sophie Lanham’s corner from the right met with a volley by Wright that sent the ball into the top left corner from about ten yards out.

That was the score at half time but, 13 minutes after the break, the hosts led for the first time, Lanham’s free kick to the left of the area not cleared by the away ‘keeper and Tess Shaw put in the rebound from close range.

Katie Seagrave unfortunately scuffed her shot on the hour mark when played in before Wisbech themselves equalised with 62 minutes gone with a header from the corner that third goalkeeper of the day Clair Andrews (after Robinson and Kirstie Smith) could not keep out.

Heather Cousins was then denied twice by the away side, firstly with a save and secondly when she was denied with an outstanding tackle to block her shot, Histon regaining the lead for the final time on 69 minutes when Abi Davies’ cross wasn’t collected by the goalkeeper and Seagrave netted from on the goal line.

The home side thought they’d scored their fourth on 76 minutes, Lanham’s free kick hitting the bar, Charlotte Westrope’s header not being cleared and Smith finding the net, but the goal was ruled out for offside.

A Wisbech shot went behind off the bar in the 87th minute as they pursued a second equaliser but, a minute later, the home side’s win was confirmed, Seagrave putting the ball across for Shiv White to flick, turn and fire from 15 yards out that was high and out of reach for the ‘keeper.