Wymondham Town Ladies 3 Histon Ladies 1
Women’s Eastern Region Football League Cup
Sunday 29th October 2017


What was always going to a tricky tie for Histon ended with the hosts going through to the next round of the competition, although the away side’s shape and spirited display did them proud as they held the hosts to a far lower score line than they had been recording.

The home side started strongly as they were able to dip into a pool of high level players, Histon fighting hard to match them both offensively and defensively.

Wymondham hit the underside of the crossbar with 20 minutes gone, Histon goalkeeper Keeley Robinson being kept busy soon afterwards as she had to make two saves to keep his side level.

The away defence was cruelly breached in the 27th minute, Charlotte Westrope’s shot on the home goal going off target and leading to a counter attack that ended with top goal scorer Lauren Nicholls calmly slotting in low at the near post and past a helpless Robinson.

What could have then led to more goals actually ended with Wymondham being left shell shocked as their opponents found an equaliser on 41 minutes, Abi Davies putting in a diagonal cross towards Ali Wright near the edge of the penalty area; the ball eventually came out to the feet of Katie Seagrave, who put a left foot shot past the goalkeeper from 15 yards out to make it two goals in her first two games for the club.

The game became a lot more open after this and, leading into the second period, this game could easily have gone either way, but for an early goal three minutes into it that gave the home side a goal advantage once more, Nicholls getting her second with a drive low at the near right post.

Histon’s heads didn’t dip and Hannah Gordon was unlucky not to score on the hour mark when a Sophie Lanham corner wasn’t cleared and Gordon’s close range effort was deflected over the bar by a defender.

Despite their fight the tie was put out of Histon’s reach on 84 minutes, a low cross from the left finding Brooke Moreno at the far post to give the hosts what was an unassailable two goal lead in the closing stages.